The traditional marketing method for corporations was to advertise through print, television, and radio. However, the rise of the internet altered the way companies reach consumers. It was at this point that social media marketing (SMM) was introduced. With the use of social media on the rise, marketers are developing strategies to capitalise on the opportunities presented by engagement with this key audience.
What is Social Media Marketing?
The use of the internet and other forms of digital communication is a key component of social media marketing, which aims to connect brands with potential customers. Its purpose-built data analytics makes social media marketing (SMM) even easier to use for tracking the company's progress, allowing marketers to uncover even more customer engagement opportunities.
A major factor contributing to the growth of digital marketing is its accessibility. Globally, 5 billion people had access to the internet in April 2022. The rise of platforms like Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram revolutionised not only our connection with one another but also the way businesses communicate with consumers.
Advantages and disadvantages of SMM
Any business will benefit from customised social media marketing (SMM) campaigns that reach a wide range of target audiences immediately.
A social media marketing campaign can leave a company vulnerable, just like any other social media content. For Instance, there must be immediate action taken in the right way if a viral video claims a product is causing illness or injury - regardless of whether the claim is true or false. False viral content can deter consumers from purchasing even if the company sets the record straight.
A career in Social Media Marketing
Anybody who is willing to stay on their toes and has a hunger for growth can make a great career out of social media marketing. Job opportunities in social media marketing are plentiful. An advantage of this field is that professionals from all backgrounds are accepted here.
You can take a short Social Media Marketing Course that will help you land a good job. You must understand the technicalities and the strategies of this field, just like any other business. If you are interested in learning SMM, check out the IIT Roorkee Digital Marketing Training program.
Tips to succeed in Social Media Marketing
- Currently, social media marketing is one of the fastest growing and most competitive industries in the country. To succeed, a social media marketer must be passionate and determined.
- Obtaining a formal qualification will build the foundation of a successful career in social media marketing. You can also opt for a social media marketing course. Furthermore, a social media marketing conference, seminar, or lecture can be a wonderful learning opportunity.
- Check out the top digital marketing sites and social media influencers regularly. Keeping in mind that major players such as Google, Facebook and Twitter constantly refine their algorithms and advertising platforms. Thorough vigilantism on your part will help you to learn digital marketing.
- SEO, PPC, and SEM are some of the digital terms a social media marketer should learn to analyse different digital media campaigns and determine which strategies worked and which failed.
- Online presence is crucial to social media marketing success. When you are trying to convince your client that you are the best candidate to build their social media presence, you must demonstrate that you have already established a brand for yourself.
- In reality, social media marketing is primarily a data-driven and technical field. It would be beneficial if you had some basic knowledge of HTML and graphic design to learn digital marketing. Universities and other institutions offer a wide range of short courses like the IIT Roorkee Digital Marketing Training Program.
Career opportunities in SMM
Social Media Manager
Client service and team management are just a few of the responsibilities of a social media manager. Having great communication skills is one of the essential qualities of being a social media manager.
Social media executive
A social media executive is responsible for all execution and initiating of the process. The position requires him to prepare reports, coordinate with internal teams, create, publish, and monitor content, as well as strategize.
Social media analysts
Social media analysts serve as marketing analysts for companies. Their job is to analyse and predict future trends in social media.
Social media specialists
Social media specialists are solely focused and specialise in social media. There is a great deal of specificity in the job role
In social media marketing, copywriters create content. It must be both creative and impactful.
A social media marketing campaign is an effort to build brand awareness, increase sales, and drive visitors to a website using social media platforms. Regardless of whether it is via computer or mobile devices, social media consumption has grown around the world. There is now an enormous scope and demand for careers in Social Media Marketing in India due to the rapid growth rate and development in consumer consumption.