20 Things You Didn't Know About Becoming A Chief Financial Officer
Post-pandemic the responsibilities of a Chief Financial Officer of any branded company or leading chain have transposed permanently. The present duties and responsibilities are little to completely contradictory to what it was in the initial phase of the Pandemic. The latest duties of a CFO have transmuted the entire job into an incredibly strategic role. The post of a CFO has high potential hence it should not be restricted only to accounting and management.
If you strive to become a new-age CFO you must acquire all the technical skills along with a strategic vision. A CFO must also maintain a proficient data-centric mentality. For commencing a successful career as a CFO you can get yourself enrolled in an online Chief Financial Officer course.
Here are a few things you have to keep in your mind before you commence a career as a Chief Financial Officer.
Who is a Chief Financial Officer ( CFO)?
An appointed Senior Executive who looks after the financial operation of a company is usually referred to as a Chief Financial Officer (CFO). They are also in charge of managing the financial plans of a company. A CFO analyses the strengths and shortcomings of a company and ensures corrective war fares. Furthermore, a CFO has to undertake and plan the financial year and the cash flow.
Who is eligible for the post of Chief Financial Officer (CFO)?
Apart from an online financial leadership development certification course, an aspirant must possess certain qualifications and degrees. Therefore, those degrees have been enlisted below:
- A graduate who holds a Bachelor's degree in accountancy or finance will easily be promoted to the position of a CFO.
- Master degrees like Master of Science in Finance (MSF) and Masters of Administration (MBA) will open doors to many opportunities for a CFO. The main reason is that these degrees impart the required skills and concepts.
- Certified Management Accountant (CMA) and Certified Public Accountant (CPA) are two accounting certification courses that are beneficial for a CFO aspirant. These courses will impart skills like financial management and strategic design. These essential skills are required to become an excellent CFO.
What are the myriad obligations of a CFO?
Formulating financial testimonies: a CFO formulates or examines the formulation of budget rosters, documents for investment, and tax returns. In addition to these tasks, a CFO also oversees income statements, reports associated with shareholders, and governmental reports.
Keeping up with all the latest Economic trends: A CFO should be updated with the latest economic trends to determine the possible opportunities and challenges of the market. Financial data are utilized as economic indicators by CEOs. These economic indicators are later acknowledged with adjustments in prices and changes in policies.
Tracking the expenses and profits of a company: One of the most crucial duties of a CFO is to audit the expenses of a company with the final financial statement. He also examines profits and compares them with the revenue. This helps the CFO to create a trajectory for future endeavours.
Evaluating administrative operations: a CFO has to evaluate the data present in the administrative operations. This secures the efficiency and effectiveness of a company's business strategies. As a result of an evaluation, the CFO can effortlessly discover various methods to eliminate costs and reduce redundancies.
Requisite skills a CFO must retain
- A Chief Financial Officer traditionally evaluates financial data using statistical analysis and database inquiries. But with the enormous growth of technology CFOs must possess skills in Data Analysis. This aptitude will assist a CFO to use financial software for assorted purposes.
- A CFO must be skilled in financial modelling. This is a method that summarizes the financial performance of a company. A Financial model comprises Merger models, consolidation models as well as budget models. This model can easily design budgets, assign resources and calculate expenditures by exemplifying the real-life financial condition.
- CFOs must ace their technical skills as well. Technical skills include financial reporting, bookkeeping, forecasting, business communication, and estimation.
- A CFO must have well-versed communication skills. Communication skills include writing and explaining ideas or thoughts. CFOs have to deal with the CEO, various managers, workers as well as external firms. Hence, good communication skills will contribute to a successful career as a CFO.
- A CFO must also possess non-verbal communication skills, confidence, and empathy to deal with difficult circumstances.
- A CFO is ought to possess a data-driven mindset. This helps a CFO to implement an impeccable and beneficial financial scheme.
- A CFO must be flexible in taking strategic and complicated decisions which should ensure the long-term growth of a company.
Chief Financial Officer is a high-paid job. In India, a CFO earns around 34,76,606 INR per annum. Therefore, enrol yourself in an online chief financial officer course to explore and bag better prospects.