Object detection is a vital component of today’s time that incorporates the use of various sensors and computer vision to observe and identify objects accurately. Computer vision technology is known for its flexibility and has expanded much in recent years. It has become an essential part of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning. Computer vision technology is based on concepts such as CNN (Convoluted Neural Networks) and deep learning.
The real-world applications of object detection can be seen in many crucial areas of our lives such as medical imaging, video tracking, movement detection, facial recognition, object recognition and even in autonomous vehicles.
How Does Object Detection Work?
Object detection is a computer vision technique that aims to locate and identify objects within an image or video. Object detection also allows the detection of objects or targets from a visual feed in real-time. The process involves a series of steps designed to recognise and label the distinct entities present in the visual data.
Benefits of Object Detection
Here are the benefits of object detection and computer vision technology:
- Reliability and Accuracy: Object detection techniques and algorithms have progressed in accurately determining complicated objects, providing accuracy in various fields including medical imaging or identifying tumours, number-plate recognition and text detection.
- Budget-friendly: Object detection is affordable and prevents fraud by automating processes and creating technical efficiency. It improves inventory management and prevents errors in businesses and manufacturing units.
- Safety and Security: Object detection helps strengthen safety and security by identifying and determining threats and intruders. It is crucial for public safety and vehicles, tracking frauds and intruders, detecting potential threats, and avoiding road accidents.
- Efficiency: Object detection caters to automation and incorporates object recognition and identification. They enhance efficiency by diminishing the requirement for manual intervention in processes including inventory management and quality control.
- Customisation and Recommendation: Object detection accurately detects, understands activities and enables customised experiences based on user preferences.
- Accessibility: Object detection caters to enhancing accessibility and inclusivity. By detecting and understanding objects, applications can provide assistance and support for individuals with visual impairments, enabling them to navigate their surroundings more independently.
Real-World Applications of Object Detection
Here are some of the real-world applications of object detection:
- Vehicles: Object detection is vital for vehicles to understand the surrounding environment and aids in determining and identifying pedestrians, traffic signals, zebra crossings, obstacles and other vehicles. Object detection enables safe navigation in autonomous vehicles and prevents car accidents.
- Surveillance and Security in Airports, Banks, Organisations etc.: Object detection caters to image and video surveillance systems and enables safety and security in financial institutions, airports and railway systems. It detects suspicious activities of intruders, or unauthorised objects and assists in securing public arenas and industries.
- Retail Markets and Manufacturing Units: Object detection focuses on inventory management and recognises the product with a scanner and barcode reader in retail shops. It helps in identifying stock levels in warehouses, tracking misplaced items and product original price.
- Automation in Factories and Manufacturing Units: Object detection is used for detecting defects, identifying product placement and object sorting. It assists in identifying defective components in industrial units and optimises product consistency.
- Social Media Platforms: Object detection is also utilised in social media platforms to identify sensitive content and aids in determining the violation of community guidelines.
- Wildlife Monitoring and Conservation: Object detection is used to track wildlife species and extinct animals. It helps to monitor and establish environmental conservation strategies.
Object detection and computer vision technology have become a day-to-day need and have been playing a greater role in the data science industry. Object detection dominates as a fundamental technology now and caters to healthcare diagnosis, advanced identification and robotic interaction.
Data science is considered an extremely promising field and creates successful professions around the world. In order to choose a professional career in data science, you need to pursue a data science course. The Postgraduate Program In Data Science And Analytics by Imarticus is a one-stop destination for data science, data presentation, SQL programming, Excel Formulae and Python Programming.
This data science and data analyst course provides 300+ learning hours and practical exposure with the help of 25+ real-world projects. The data science training program also focuses on concepts such as computer vision technology with the help of these real-world projects.