How to Get Involved In the Blockchain/Fintech Space as a Student?January 22, 2019
Blockchain developers are not in supply and are in high demand. The job of developing blockchain distributed ledgers for businesses was found to be the most growing sector. The payouts for a blockchain-developer engineer positions are accordingly high when compared to other software design engineers.
Working knowledge of Java and Python is desirable. The blockchain technology being relatively new many Universities have started offering courses connected to blockchain technology only recently. They now offer the following courses:
- Cryptocurrency design and engineering by MIT
- Bitcoin Engineering by Stanford University
- Ethereum Developer Certified Training program by B9Lab
- Courses by Mountain View
- Courses by Blockchain University, California.
You can also learn online and on your own, attend programs conducted by Block apps, Consensys, Ethereum Foundation, Linux foundation or Hyperledger. India too is not far behind, and you can take up Fintech courses on blockchain technology.
An introductory course on Hyperledger would be right for entrepreneurs who are looking for business opportunities, business enterprises wishing to learn if blockchain technology can be adopted by them, people working in fintech startups and students who have just graduated hoping to land a job in the fintech sector.
Choose what you wish to explore
- Creating open-sourced blockchains
- Creating business networks using the Hyperledger platform
- Creating smart contracts using Solidity
Where the jobs are
The Fintech industry badly needs personnel in
- Blockchain Technology
- Digital Payments
- Big Data handling
- Digital Wealth Management
- Analytics Solutions
Job roles available and in demand are for
- Project Managers
- Data management experts
- Financial experts in various fields like equity funding, debt capital markets etc.
Non-transferable skills will need to be developed and aligned with the enterprise’s needs. You must have the following traits.
- Interpersonal Communication skills are essential as you will be working in a customer oriented role no matter what services you offer
- Ability to solve problems creatively is vital when you have to innovative to be a market leader. There is no other way than to innovative on blockchain technology
- Collaborative team skills are crucial as most startups will have small teams
- Ability to work with ambiguity, under pressure, and with high demands from the startup environment
- Discipline and integrity since you will be working on financial transactions and have to work beyond the call of duty to succeed
- A good learner as there may be no standard operating procedures or norms of remuneration as yet
If you have your heart set on joining the fintech industry, then you need to start immediately to stay abreast of changes that will happen.