Many reports have touted the year 2022, to be the year of mergers and acquisitions or ‘the year of merger mania’. Many M&A records were broken throughout the year, with Healthcare Finance, being among the top five activities and trends of the same year. The year 2023 is also believed to be a comparable year when it comes to M&A in the healthcare industry. In this article, we will be thoroughly dealing with all the mergers & acquisitions activities that took place throughout the year of 2022, so read on to know more about the industry changes.
- Walgreens made a move to sell almost 865 stores to Fred’s Pharmacy on December 21st, 2016. This move was made in order to satisfy all the antitrust concerns. This was why the bigger chain, Walgreens Boots Alliance, and Rite Aid announced the all-cash sale, to the comparatively smaller drugstore chain, for about $950 million.
- Family Care Partners acquired Wagener Medical Centre on December 9, 2016. This acquisition happened as a result of the efforts of further expansion by the former company. Family Care Partners happens to be a firm, which is entirely focused on creating a network for all of the primary care providers, throughout the nation. They aim to provide their services across the southeastern region of the United States and this acquisition was a result of these expansion efforts.
- In a bid to expand their service offerings, Universal Hospital Services acquired Radiographic Equipment Services on December 9, 2016. The former is a healthcare technology management firm and has acquired the latter, which is a medical imaging provider company based in San Diego.
- Indian Pharmaceutical firms will be continuing their efforts in order to seek growth and development through the acquisition of overseas assets.
- Baxter International, which is a USA-based health care company, has moved to buy an Indian firm in order to grow and expand its own portfolio regarding generic injectables.
- Infosys had made its bid for US healthcare company Trizetto, for which even Wipro was considering betting. But it was finally acquired by Cognizant in a rather risky bet.
- The troubled Indian company, Ranbaxy has been already sold to and is acquired by another Indian Drug company called Sun Pharmaceuticals.
- Healthcare, materials, and financials were some of the most active sectors when it came to Mergers and Acquisitions in India.
- According to a report by Kroll, a global risk mitigation firm, India was one of the most attractive M&A destinations in the continent of Asia.
- Overseas deals especially in the sector of healthcare and pharma, experienced a five-year high in the year 2015. According to a number of reports, outbound deals in this sector happened to be worth US$1.5 billion in the previous year, as opposed to $251 million in the year 2014. Inbound deals also increased majorly to US$999m.
Thus, it seems the mergers & acquisitions sector has experienced quite a few exciting twists and turns in the past couple of years. This is probably why finance enthusiasts is looking to pursue professional courses in finance, like those offered by Imarticus Learning, to get ahead in this field.