During graduation engineering students are required to take internships in a recognized company. Honorable Union MHRD minister Prakash Javadekar has made three internships compulsory. This is applicable to all engineering students across the country.
These internships are for four to eight weeks and should take place during their graduation course. This has come up as an awakening that the rate of employment has declined as well as the quality of engineers is deteriorating. The internships are to be done not only during graduation but are also available after graduation.
Likewise, all engineering students are in search of good internships so as to improve the chances of getting good jobs. This article presents good internship ideas for Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) students.
Many students feel nervous while looking for internship opportunities or preparing to join one. It is natural for a first-time experience. For freshers who are going to have their first experience in corporate, everything might feel completely alien. The thing is there is nothing to worry much about as you are not the only person to undergo the whole procedure. Every engineering student is going to face this.
In fact, you should look at it as a great opportunity to set up to learn new things, grow contacts, form networks with interesting people, develop skills and experience the next phases of life. What matters here is your passion to learn new things, a positive attitude to face different challenges, and finally a self-motivation.
Good Internship Ideas for Electronics and Communication Engineering (ECE) Students and important tips
Apply for an Internship
New internships are arising for engineering students as there is an advent of a start-up culture. The start-up companies usually post the internships on online forums which connect students with them.
Some of the prevalent internship portals include Internshala, hello intern, lets intern, twenty19etc. Furthermore, some Job portals such as Naukri, Indeed, freshersworld, shine, etc. also show internship opportunities on their website.
First of all, you have to register yourself as a student on all these forums by updating your profile resume and skills. After that, you can subscribe to their alerts to get updates about the internship that best suits your profile.
Furthermore, there are government organizations that do not show their internship on these forums. For this, you need to their website specially and upload your profile and resume in their career section or job opportunity page after which you have chances for getting shortlisted for an interview process.
The Documents you need
- Resume: This should contain your academic credentials, your area of interest, your skills, your past responsibilities, project experience, and contact details.
- Cover Letter: This letter is to be sent to the company’s HR manager which should contain clear information about your city or location preference, your intention to apply, and referrals if any.
- Bachelor Transcripts: This document describes your project role, experience, and skills that you gained while doing it.
- Bonafide Certificate: It is a kind of No Objection Certificate (NOC) which you have to get from your college or university in order to get approval for joining the internship.
For an interview
You can keep your national/ state level achievement certifications, value-added course certificates, Diploma/ Degree Certificate with you which will be easy to carry with you for an interview.
Do not hurry to send the same resume to 100 companies. You can edit your resume or cover letter as per the company requirements and objectives. This will increase your chances of getting shortlisted for an interview.
If you carefully analyse the various company requirements, you may come to know that most of the Electronics and Telecommunication Comanies have requirement of specific tecnical skills sets in candidate. Following is the list of some skill sets:
- Digital Design: Knowledge of Digital Circuits and algorithms, C / C++ Programming, VHDL, Verilog Design, Digital Computing, Microprocessors, and Microcontrollers.
- Analog Design: Strong knowledge in Circuit Designing, Analog Electronics Concepts like Amplifirs, Oscillators, Voltage Regulators, Data Convertors, etc.
- Signal Processing: Digital Signal Processing, Multirate Digital Signal Processing, MATLAB Programming and Simulink, C, C++.
- Control Systems: Supervisory Control And Data Acquisition(SCADA) and Programmable Logic Controllers (PLC), Automation
- IC Design: System on Chip(SOC) Design, Very Large Scale Integration( VLSI) Designing, Good knowledge of Semiconductors, Micorprocessors and Microcontrollers IC Design, knowledge of tools like Xilinx, Altera, Cadence, ADS.
- Embedded System Design: Strong knowledge of Microprocessors and Microcontrollers, Ability to program various Micro-controllers and micro-controller-based systems.
Improve Your Chances of getting Good Internships
Since more than a thousand students are looking for the best internships in top reputed industries, internship opportunities are very few. In order to secure your internship opportunity, you must have a strong profile.
If you are a weak candidate, you must start improving your profile and skills without any delay. As Developing any new skill needs time and patience you should take quick and thoughtful steps to upgrade yourself. Furthermore money matters are also important. Some of the internships are paid and some are unpaid.
But if you are a fresher and have a satisfactory monitory background then money should come second to knowledge and work.
Top companies want following in a candidate
1. Latest Technology Knowledge: If you have a great knowledge of the latest and upcoming technologies then you are much closer to get your dream internship. If you are a candidate with poor knowledge of the latest technologies then you have to get ready for more hard work. Start building the projects on your own related to modern technologies and keep yourself updated.
Following are the latest ECE Technologies to learn
- Internet of Things(IOT)
- Artificial Intelligence/ Machine Learning
- Drone Development
- Smart Energy Systems
- Automation Technoloies
2. Build your own Project
Your experience of building your own projects also counts. While building a project one has to undergo various phases of project development cycle. Furthermore, an individual develops the skills like problem solving, critical thinking, communication and teamwork, Time management etc.
You have the below options while building a project:
- Online Project Courses
- Classroom Workshops
- Summer Training Programs
- Winter Training Programs
Some top reputed companies that provide Internships
List of top private sector ECE companies
- Tata tele services (Telecommunications)
- Vodafone (Telecommunications & Networking)
- Samsung (Analog and Digital Communications)
- Intel (Analog & Digital Electronics)
- LG Electronics (Analog & Digital Electronics)
- Wipro (Wireless Networking)
- Cisco Networking (Computer Networks)
- Dell India (Networking)
- Reliance (Communications)
- Infotech (Analog & Digital Electronics
- Redpine (Signal Processing)
- General Electric (Electronics & Communication)
- Texas Instruments (Analog & Digital Electronics)
- Microchip (Analog and Digital Electronics)
List of public sector companies
- Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL)
- Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL)
- National Aluminium Company Ltd. (NALCO)
- National Thermal Power Corporation Ltd (NTPC)
- Power Grid Corporation of India Limited (POWERGRID)
- Hindustan Petroleum Corporation Limited (HPCL)
- Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL)
While applying for an internship make sure that your skill sets and company requirements are a good match. You should have an extensive skill set to get selected for an internship in these companies.